First United Methodist Church of Oklahoma City has announced that the position of Director of Children's Ministries is currently open and applications are being accepted.
JOB DESCRIPTION: DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN’S MINISTRIES
Church Contact: Please send resume and letter of interest to church office, Attention Rev. Lesly Broadbent: 131 NW 4th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Position Overview: The Director of Children’s Ministries will support the vision of First United Methodist Church through children’s ministry in partnership with the Senior Pastor, staff and lay leadership. The Children’s Director will effectively plan, develop, and implement a comprehensive ministry program for children birth through 5th grade.
Supervisor: This position shall report directly to the Senior Pastor.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversees the recruiting, training, supporting and supervising of volunteer staff of children’s leaders, directors, and teachers. Ministries included would be:
- Sunday School
- Children’s Church
- Wednesday Night Bible Studies
- Vacation Bible School
- Summer Camps
- Special Seasonal Events
- Provides support for the volunteers who work in the children’s ministries through:
- Facilitating background checks on all volunteers working with children and ensuring compliance
- with our Safe Sanctuaries policies.
- Clear, effective, ongoing communication
- Counsel, personal support, hospital visits
- Retreats, Seminars, and Training Events
- Fellowships and other expressions of appreciation for workers
- Plans, coordinates, conducts and evaluates all children’s events including, camps, VBS, retreats, fellowships, etc.
- Develops a means to involve parents in children’s education and ministries as well as develop ministries to assist and support them in their roles as parents.
- Coordinates curriculum selection and procurement of the necessary supplies for selected Sunday School, mid-week, VBS, and special program opportunities.
- Works with the Director of Music in developing mutual goals and determining focus of Children’s music ministry.
- Works with Children’s leadership team, ministry volunteers and church staff in developing a strong outreach strategy to children and their families.
- Provides supervision, training and leadership for all paid childcare staff.
- Serves as a member of the church staff in planning and carrying out the ministry goals of the church.
- Provides ministry to children and their families through home visits, church office visits, and hospital visitation.
- Develops ministry opportunities to create an effective bridge from preschool to elementary and from Children’s to Youth ministry. Bridge should include parent activities and involvement.
- Plans and submit an annual budget for Children’s Ministries.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Employee may perform other related duties as necessary to meet the ongoing ministry of First United Methodist Church.
Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values, and beliefs of Oklahoma City First United Methodist Church. Can teach those values to other adults and to children. Leads his/her leadership teams to identify their unique mission and vision which is in line with the mission and vision of FC.
Spiritual Maturity: Has a vital Christian life that is lived out through the ministry of First Church. Models and develops humility, teachability, accountability, and servant leadership in all church relationships.
Biblical Knowledge: Able to discuss and interpret biblical truth when applying Scripture to life situations. Is able to guide other adults and children in the exploration and discovery of biblical truth. Encourages and designs avenues for others to engage in ongoing training/studying of Scripture.
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to lead others. Keeps strict confidentiality. Demonstrates the skills of active listening and openly accepts criticism. Productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Engages people positively, with a demeanor of optimism and cheerfulness. Maintains a good working relationship with other church staff, congregants, and the general public. Problem solves, is a self-starter, and is able to multi-task. Handles and resolves recurring problems.
Team Building Skills: Guides congregants in the process of finding their gifts to share with the church by encouraging them to see their volunteering as a ministry, rather than as a way to get a job done. Recognizes dysfunctional team behavior and redirects it into functional behavior. Works with leaders to regularly assess the health of teams and groups. Creates and communicates vision, direction and goals for teams.
Management Skills: Demonstrates commitment and flexibility in scheduling regular sessions with those in his/her span of care. Understands his/her leadership style and temperament type and adapts leadership behaviors to meet the needs of the situation. Delegates, empowers, and holds leaders accountable. Demonstrates ability to schedule necessary meetings, oversees unpaid staff, and assembles resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done.
Leadership Development: Is a good judge of talent and spiritual giftedness. Can accurately project how people are likely to perform in a variety of settings. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments for developing leaders. Stretches people to try new skills and accept new levels of responsibility.
If you have any questions about this position, please feel free to contact Pastor Lesly Broadbent at 405-239-6493.